Skip to main content

Talks I Want To See, Cont.

It seems that I missed Jesse Noller's contribution:
jessenoller.com: PyCon 2010: Talks I want to see; Keynotes, registration open: I thought I’d share the talks I’m pretty jazzed about, as well as some other bits of PyCon-related news.

First up – early bird registration is open – early bird reg nets you a decent discount on registration fees for PyCon, and will run until January 6th.

Next – for those of you who didn’t see the news, Mark Shuttleworth will also be doing a Keynote at PyCon – this is awesome news. I think both keynotes, his and Antonio Rodriguez’ will be great. I don’t want to speak as to the content just yet – but with two high caliber entrepreneurs/founders, I’m dead sure it will be awesome.

As for the talks I want to see – well, this is criminally difficult. I pretty much want to see almost every single invited talk we have (I’m especially excited about Alex’s, Jack’s, Joe’s and Ned’s talks. I think our invited speakers this year will be very, very popular.

As for talks that “made it through the painstaking review process” I presided over, here’s my personal “gotta see” list:

  • “Understanding the Python GIL” – David Beazley; David’s been hinting at taking his talk he did earlier this year “up a notch” – I can’t wait!
  • “Actors: What, Why, and How” – Donovan Preston. Hell yeah!
  • “Turtles All The Way Down: Demystifying Deferreds, Decorators, and Declarations” – Glyph Lefkowitz; Glyph is a fantastic, and energetic speaker. Definitely looking forward to see this dog-and-pony show.
  • “Using Django in Non-Standard Ways” – Eric Florenzano; I’ve been doing a fair amount of non-standard Django work lately, and I’m interested to see things which may apply to my day-to-day work.
  • “Modern version control: Mercurial internals” – Dirkjan Ochtman and “Hg and Git : Can’t we all just get along?” – Mr. Scott Chacon; these both apply to a lot of the work I’m doing (not the day job) and given the adoption rate of both mercurial and git, and the fact git continues to fill me with a seething rage every time I use it, I desperately need to see Scott’s talk!

That’s a quick top five (six) off the top of my head – and I could probably list out a heck of a lot more. I’m completely jazzed about PyCon this year. We’ve added a fifth track, we’ve got poster sessions, kick ass tutorials, fantastic talks, and rocking Keynotes.

Comments